Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Owie.

I have a lovely recurring upper-back injury from my box office days. I wasn't given a headset, so was taking phone orders and typing customer information into a computer while squinching the handset between my left shoulder and ear. This caused my 2nd rib from the top on the left side to dislocate from my spine. And yes, it is as painful as it sounds.

At the time it happened, I put in an L&I claim for it, which paid for chiropractic, massage, and physical therapy--but ran out when I was "better" and of course doesn't cover any of the recurrances. So on days like yesterday, when I wake up unable to lift my daughter, turn my head, or even take a deep breath without pain, I'm on my own.

Thank heavens my chiropractor wasn't observing President's Day and that my mother was visiting. This meant I had the day off and could leave the Cricket with Gramma while I made the (long) trek up to get the rib popped back into place. While it is back where it should be, the muscles around it are (understandably) freaked out, so I woke up this morning in a considerable amount of pain.

My chiropractor says I should only lift 70% of what I usually do, and cut the reps in half. For cardio, I am to decrease everything--speed, time, and distance--by half. All this for ten days. Harumph.

I changed my last appointment with Angela, thinking it wouldn't be worth much if I had greatly decreased mobility and capacity to lift. So I"m seeing her next Monday instead. And in the meantime, of course, I have to be VERY good food-wise, as I won't be burning as much of it with exercise.

But I am absolutely determined not to let this get in my way. The scale in my office today said 173.2, which I think isn't bad after three meals out this weekend. I just have to keep that halo aloft a little longer....

2 comments:

Machelle said...

Bless your heart. Back in my volleyball days I pulled a rib off my spine and it was one of the most painful things I've ever experienced. I hope you're well on the mend, and three cheers for visiting moms! Not to mention that rest is a good thing for new working moms...

Anonymous said...

ouch!!!

Well, sounds like you're doing all the right things. Hope you're on the mend soon. Crickets only get heavier, as you know.

- says the mom of a 30 pound cricket who foolishly decided to carry her around town today and is now paying the price...

Love, sis