Monday, May 5, 2008

She's Like the Wind

As my goal for the weekend, Angela asked that I do a five-mile run on Sunday (the weather was supposed to be gorgeous, and for once, it was).

So I got the Cricket down for a nap, handed the baby monitor to The Boy, and set off. I did the 5.3 miles (including some MONSTER hills) in 52 minutes and 48 seconds. That's an average of 9:52 minutes per mile, or 6.02 miles per hour.

And while that pace is nothing to sneeze at, I'm going to need to do a 9:10 minute mile in order to complete a half marathon in 2 hours. That means I have about 7 weeks to shave 47 seconds off my mile.

Heaven help me.

Fortunately, regardless of how heaven feels about it, Angela has agreed to help me with my running. She's going to tweak my weight workouts to strengthen the specific muscles I use to run, and she'll give me very targeted goals for my cardio workouts.

So I think it's doable...it just won't be easy.

No comments: