Monday, October 13, 2008

Turn It Upside-Down...

Madison has me doing all kinds of crazy things with freeweights. Today we worked on "overhead squats" and "push jerks."

The latter is not, as the name implies, the act of forcibly relieving the neighborhood geek of his milk money; rather, it is an exercise that involves jumping in the air while pushing a 45-lb bar over one's head, then landing in a squat position. A bit daunting for Little Miss Uncoordinated over here.

Anyway, it was a good workout, and as we were wrapping up, Madison said, "Man, do this workout with some handstand pushups, and your arms would be killing you!"

I'm sorry: did you just say "handstand pushups?" And further, did you say it in such a way as to imply that they are something that I might actually do sometime in my life?

Apparently I wasn't hallucinating, because the next thing I knew, I was kneeling on a bench with my hands on the floor, doing "the first step" toward handstand pushups.

So, y'know, if editing doesn't work out, I can always hop on the vaudeville circuit....

2 comments:

Machelle said...

One of my former castmates from My Fair Lady is a personal trainer and he prides himself on developing workouts that require zero equipment. The handstand pushup is a signature move of his, starting from a squat, pulling his legs up into the handstand, and then doing pushups. Multiple times. No wall balance. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

I hope you're able to go to yoga class with John on Monday night when you visit. They do a lot of upside down work there that he really enjoys. Besides, it will be good to work out after your long flight! :-)

Love,
Sis