Tuesday, September 9, 2008

No Pain, No Loss

So I met with Madison for the first time on Friday. She's a hoot. At one point, Dee-Lite's "Groove Is in the Heart" came on over the gym's PA, and I said, "Oh, I love this song! I haven't heard it in years!" She said, "I don't know it." "Really? Dee-Lite? Groove Is in the Heart? Really popular, like, late 80s, early 90s?" She smiled and softly replied, "I was born in the late 80s."

Ah. So THAT'S how it's gonna be.

But seriously, I think this will be great for me. For one thing, I don't think I realized that I've really been coddling myself weight wise. Some of the exercises I've been doing have just gotten too easy, and rather than ratcheting up the weight and challenging myself, I've been doing them the same as ever and patting myself on the back at how competent and in-shape I am.

Well, Madison brought that all crashing down on Friday. To wit: who knew 10 little pushups could be so painful? And why? Because she makes me touch my chest to the bar (can't do 'em that way on the floor yet). Owie.

Another thing I'm excited about: She's giving me a specific training schedule for a half marathon (I think I"m going to run the Seattle Half right after Thanksgiving). The best part? "When I'm training for a marathon, I try to run as little as possible. I mean, come on, you already know how to run, right?" I'm telling you, I LOVE this girl.

On the down side, doing anything with my arms this weekend was painful; on the up side, I'm back below my target weight. Hey, I'll take pain over gain any day.

1 comment:

Machelle said...

Hey GF, I started a new job so I've been offline a lot, so it was quite an up/down/up check in with you here. Your last posts seem upbeat, and I hope your friend is doing better.